Instructions for application to admission to the Philosophy Department PhD program
SPRING 2021 APPLICATIONS
(Revised on May 2021)
Please be careful about the updated information!
Note for 2021 applicants: Examinations and interviews wil be held online. Details will be provided via email.
1. You must apply to the University for admission to the Philosophy Department PhD program between April 26 - May 21, 2021. For the Spring 2021 application period, the details of the general rules of application can be found at the links listed below. (After the completion of your application, please check out occasionally the Grad page of the Philosophy Department, for recent announcements concerning the exams.)
Info on Applying to Philosophy Department
Schedule, Required documents, Application guide, Logging into the application system
Felsefe Bölümü başvuru bilgileri
Takvim, Başvuru belgeleri, Başvuru kılavuzu, Başvuru sistemine giriş
2. In addition, by May 28 please send the Philosophy Department Secretary Süheyla Öğretici a Writing Sample and a Statement of Purpose. They should be e-mailed as attachments to: email@example.com.
3. The Writing Sample is a piece of philosophical writing 5 to 12 normal pages in length, or about 1800 to 4200 words. We will examine it first for quality of philosophical writing and secondly for how well its subject matter falls within the specializations of Department members. For this reason you may want to examine the web pages of Department members.
4. In the Statement of Purpose, describe how you understand philosophy and what your current interests in philosophy are. The Statement of Purpose should be 1 to 3 normal pages in length, or about 350 to 1000 words.
5. Do not write your name or identify yourself on the Writing Sample. Also, please send us Microsoft Word documents, not PDFs.
6. We will use a computer program to examine both the Writing Sample and the Statement of Purpose for plagiarism. If either the Writing Sample or the Statement of Purpose is determined to be plagiarized, you will be disqualified. In order to understand what plagiarism is, please study
7. All doctoral applicants will be interviewed by the Philosophy Department by Zoom on June 8 starting at 2pm. All details will be provided by email. Please check your email, this is important.
8. All the work mentioned above will be done in English.
9. Check out our departmental site for the updates.
Philosophy Department Secretarial Office: South Campus, TB-360
Office Phone: +90 212 359 65 58